After our hellish day attempting to get the walls in Rich’s office into shape to paint, the last thing we wanted to do was spend another few hours painting that same weekend. But somehow at six pm on Sunday that’s exactly what we found ourselves doing.
You can see from my face exactly how thrilled I was with the whole idea. But the allure of being able to put the room back together sooner versus leaving the furniture piled in the middle was too much to pass up, so with about 2 hours of work we had everything painted a gorgeous golden brown.
At this point we moved all the furniture back into place and called a temporary break in the room makeover. I wish we had more time to work on the house during the week but sadly our jobs and commutes keep us from working on any complicated projects during the week. But the following weekend we dove back in on the office. This weekend’s goal: curtains. We wanted to make curtains to cover both the window and the closet opening in this room. This closet actually opens into our lower attic, so we wanted a heavy weight fabric that could help block some of the cold air. Of course, anything we chose would be an improvement over the falling apart accordion-style door that was there when we started.
Luck was on our side and the weekend we headed out fabric shopping, Joann’s was having a 50% home fabric sale. We lucked into finding a gorgeous velvety twill in exactly the rich chocolate color Rich was envisioning.
The best part? It was already on the clearance rack for 5.99/yard. And Joann’s still gave us the 50% discount, making the 10 yards we needed only $30 total. We headed home and I got to work hemming the curtains. Somewhat shamefully, this was the first project for which I used the sewing machine I received for Christmas. Christmas 2009. Sorry Mom, I do love it though!
First I pinned the hems (after carefully measuring the dimensions I wanted for the curtains).
Next, with the help of my assistant, I hemmed the curtains.
I measured the second curtain for each pair exactly against the first to ensure they were exactly the same size. For the curtains that were hung in the closet, I added in a pocket for the rod at the top, since we had already mounted a simple rod inside the closet. For the window treatments, we went back to the rods and ring clips we used in the living room.
Here’s the final product in the closet. I love the way the chocolate brown fabric looks against the wall color.
And here are the window treatments. I love what a difference they can make in a room!
We’ve still got a few minor tweaks to make in this room. We need to paint the ceiling (we’re avoiding that project in a lot of rooms). We’re looking for a lamp that suits the space better, or even considering dropping a fixture from the ceiling. And the floors, which we did a number on during our paint stripping project, will be refinished along with the rest of the house. But for now, it’s a great space for Rich to hang out and practice his music.